Thursday, July 26, 2007

Barnes and Noble Experience

I went to Barnes and Noble on Tuesday night. I spent about three hours there and my selection of reading material consisted of topics like buying a fixer upper, resume books, women and business, birth order and psychology books I staked out a cool corner with a comfy sofa chair and on the wooden chair next to me put all of my findings. Soon an employee of the bookstore came by and asked me if those were all mine in a slightly annoyed tone as he bustled around trying to put books away that were tossed by careless customers. I politely told him yes and he walked away.

About two hours later, I had made it through 6 of the 14 books I had chosen and was completely immersed in the book about birth order when he comes around again asking me if any can be put away! I gave him some of the stack.

I got the impression that he should read one of my business and employment books if he is that dissatisfied with his job. As I was leaving, I did feel a little guilty that I did not purchase any of the books. Can I help it if they did not have the book I originally came there for? (For those of you wondering what book I was looking for, that would be the color code book that groups people into colors depending on a quiz that examines your personality. I wanted to read more about a particular color combination!) When I got home and told Tara what happened she said something like, "They have chairs there for a reason, They want people to read the books!" I have to say I completely agree!

1 comment:

the ginabean said...

Yeah...I agree with Tara; if they don't want people to sit there and read their books, they shouldn't have sofas there at all...let alone those really big comfy ones! I think you shouldn't feel guilty. :)