We have loved living near my brothers and their families. We get together at least a few times a month. We recently went to the beach for Lindsay’s birthday. Lindsay and John had everyone over for dinner on Sunday. We also got together one night to watch a movie.
We always have fun together, even if I have now become the target for teasing from not only my brothers, but my husband as well. I am such an easy target and I need to figure out how to beat them at this never ending tease feast. We also love spending time with our niece and nephew. I love observing their cute personalities and interest in each other. Cameron loves to touch faces and he was so determined to try and touch Alyssa’s face!
Jeff and I have not been able to have anyone over (because of our house), so making friends has come very slowly and if I am honest hardly at all. We have not had lots of time because of the house and work. Since I have been here, I have gone to two book club meetings, two baby showers, Easter at Aunt Sheila’s and Christmas since November.
On Saturday, when Jeff and I were at Wal-Mart, we fantasized about what would have happened if the Lord has sent us to Tennessee instead of Florida socially wise. Because I have such a wealth of couple friends and single friends there to spend time with and Jeff thought everyone was great who came to the wedding reception and all the support. We also talked about how we missed our friends in California and all the get together's we used to have and the double dates with our good friends Emily and David.
Well we had to eat our words on Sunday, because we got invited to our first non-family invite this past Monday to spend time with the Carvers, Jill and Jared for a family home evening night. They also invited John, Lindsay and Cameron and Daisy and her daughter Romey (her husband was out of town). We had so much fun! (We do LOVE living here and We do LOVE spending time with family, don’t get me wrong, I am just saying its nice to have additional friends to invite over as well)
They made everyone dinner, the most amazing and deluxe meal ever, seriously it was gourmet, my favorite was the chicken (Best I have ever had), the sauce that went over everything (again nothing like I had ever tasted, I wanted to cover it in everything), rice pilaf and the salad were my favorites. The bread was also really good and the french onion soup! See how spoiled we were!
I got asked to teach the lesson and Lindsay and John brought dessert. It was such a fun night and I am so happy we were invited. Jill is having a girl in November, so our baby and her’s will be close in age! They also have two boys that are really cute.
P.S. This is not a plea to get invited over more, even though I welcome invitations! I just want to remember this because it meant so much. When you move, it is easy for it to take years to build strong friendships with other families and to not have to make the first move to invite since our house is not suitable for guests yet. Once we can invite people over, then I can take more responsibility to make sure we have more friends in the area. I also have a night out with the girls to watch New Moon before Eclipse comes out at the end of the month.
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Socially Speaking...
Posted by
Emily
at
5:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We would love it if the Lord decides this is where you need to be, eventually! But I am so glad you have sweet people who are becoming your friends there. Just imagine the entertaining you will do when your house is back in order!
It does take time to make and keep friends and it will come in time. Yes, once you get your house done then you can start socializing. Love you dear daughter! Mom
CONGRATULATIONS!!! i just realized you were pregnant. i missed the post where you wrote a poem about it and you hinted toward it in posts after that, i was so confused until i went back to the poem. I'm so happy for you even though it wasn't planned. i'm sure this baby will be sooo loved :)
I wish you could post pictures. Thanks for the birthday call! I felt loved!
Post a Comment