Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Election Day!



I voted, hopefully you have too! Especially YES for PROP 8!



As many of you know I work as an Academic Counselor and I have about 200 students. My students can be wonderful and out of the many I have worked with over the course of almost 2 1/2 years I have had majority that I enjoy working with. I can count on ten fingers the ones I cringe when they call or I have to call them!

So anyways, I inherited a new student last week and we had briefly spoken the week before and I was taken back by his behavior on the phone. Then yesterday it was the icing on the cake. I was doing my welcome call to go over everything he needs to know and from the start he was rude, impatient and overall a challenge to deal with. I got off the phone feeling annoyed and dreading to work with this student. I looked at what he had left so I could calculate how much longer I would have to deal with him! He would be a good three years! The agony of it all!

So then this morning I got an email from this student and he said the following, "I MUST apologize for taking my frustrations out on you yesterday. My mistake. I'm sorry."

Knowing men, this is hard for them to say! So I appreciated the gesture and it made me feel so much better. I had been very patient in dealing with him yesterday and I fought my instinct to put him in his place (Because I did not want to lose my job).

Also from what I have learned it makes an individual feel bad when they have been a "little character" to someone and the person responded with care and civility. I love it and in every instance where I have kept my cool with a student or other person, it has turned out with an apology from them! This is a great skill that I am learning (its a process, I am by no means perfect at this) so that I have much less to apologize for.
So there is my little story and I am so glad I do not have to dread working with him now!

I will be updating my blog soon, I just have been really busy with so much it has been hard to find the time!

3 comments:

Ashley Perez said...

That's awesome Miss Em. I'm glad he apologized so he doesn't have to add to the 11th finger you don't have!

Heidi said...

good to hear he appologized.
I have a personal question for you. My husband with his degree can do academic counseling (though is degree is in marriage and family therapy, weird i know) anyway I was wondering what kind of $ is there?

Heidi said...

Thanks for the information. For you a single woman... that is amazing! You are doing so well for yourself!